Rikolto (formerly known as VECO) is an international NGO with more than 40 years’ experience in partnering with farmer organisations and food chain actors across Africa, Asia, Europe and Latin America. In East Africa, our regional office is based in Arusha. We improve the livelihoods of smallholder farmers in East Africa through the development of sustainable agriculture value chains and inclusive businesses.
We are looking for a creative freelancer to provide input into and support the implementation of the communication plan of our Generation Food project, which supports young entrepreneurs in and around Arusha to transform the food system into an inclusive and sustainable system.
You will be responsible for communicating about the Generation Food project, especially ensuring that we reach out to youth for the two biggest events: The Hackathon and the Bootcamp. You will bring content to the stakeholders in Arusha via the appropriate communication channels (digital and print). You will ensure that all communication materials and graphics meet the expectations of our stakeholders and are delivered within the set deadlines.
You will work in close cooperation with Rikolto’s communication responsible in Arusha and the project’s steering committee.
Specifically, you will be responsible for:
- Giving your input to the communication plan, with an overview and deadlines of all communication products, depending on the programme and PR priorities set by the project’s steering committee.
- Guaranteeing the Generation Food brand guidelines on all communication material, as well as the visibility of Rikolto, donors and partners.
- Generating relevant content for online and print publications (interview young entrepreneurs, posters, flyers, t-shirts, radio campaign).
- Produce graphics and templates for a social media campaign.
- Producing, copy-editing, designing, proof-reading and, if needed, translating of communication materials, such as a call for participation, leaflets, brochures.
- Producing short videos - if needed for the social media campaign.
- Developing a radio campaign (if there is available budget) with a call for future young entrepreneurs to participate in the bootcamp and hackathon.
- Ensuring that finished products are shared within different networks of the project partners.
- Working closely with Rikolto’s communication responsible in Arusha and the project’s steering committee.
Key Competences and Skills Required
- Being able to communicate and write fluently in Kiswahili and English.
- Knowledge of graphic design / video editing software.
- Creativity to think of the most attractive way to bring a message to young (potential) entrepreneurs and developing messages accordingly.
- Attention to quality and details (consistent content and style).
- Strong networking skills to get first-hand information on our activities from Rikolto staff and its project partner.
- Affinity with working with youth and sustainability themes, in particular agricultural and food value chains.
- Flexibility to react on new opportunities and to develop communication materials in short term.
- Have good planning skills to meet the agreed deadlines.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Good photographer(optional).
- Degree in Communication, Media, Journalism, Language or Literature, or equivalent by experience.
Terms and Conditions
Rikolto in East Africa will offer the selected freelancer consultancy contract for a limited time, which will specify the number of days that will be worked. The number of days will depend on the communications plan (to be developed with the consultant), taking into account the available budget. We expect the assignment to take between 32h and 60h.
How to Apply
Please send in an expression of interest with your CV to eastafrica [at] rikolto.org by 6 July 2020, 13h00. Please note that applications sent to a different email will be disqualified and only successful candidates will be contacted.