The covid-19 pandemic has resulted in disruptions of businesses including farmer enterprises. Movement restrictions and border closures to slow down the spread of the corona virus have affected many operations in farmers organizations, including the delivery of critical Business Development Services (BDS) to their members. The pandemic has also restricted access to international markets, calling for market diversification if these businesses are to survive. This has especially been the case with the horticulture sector.
The overall impact of the covid-19 shock may take long to be realized as the pandemic is still evolving. With this uncertainty in mind, it is therefore important for farmer organizations (FOs) to critically reflect upon the potential risks that the pandemic could have on their businesses, and come up with mitigation measures to manage those risks, and minimize their impacts. Farmer organizations should also think about diversifying markets (shorter chains), as well as adjusting their business models and governance structures and processes, for them to be more responsive to the new normal that defines the life after COVID-19.
Rikolto is therefore seeking the services of a consultant to support five farmer organizations i.e. Kwapa Farmers Cooperative in Tororo, Sabiny Farmers Cooperative in Kapchorwa, Kangulumira Farmers Cooperative in Kayunga, DIFACOS and MBRFC both in Butaleja district to review and adjust their business plans in order to ensure that their businesses not only survive the pandemic, but thrive well in the future.
Overall purpose of the assignment
The overall purpose of this assignment is to support five (5) farmer organizations (FOs) in Uganda to adapt to the covid-19 impacts by adjusting their existing business plans.
Specific tasks of this assignment
The consultant is expected to undertake the following tasks;
- Together with different farmer leader’s analyze potential risks due to the pandemic, design risk mitigation strategies, and update the respective business plan accordingly
- Together with different farmer leader’s explore market opportunities within the region and domestically, and update the business plans accordingly
- Update the respective business plans with sector-relevant measures different stakeholders (regulators, financial providers,… ) have put in place to support farmer-owned businesses survive and thrive during the covid-19 pandemic, and guide FOs on how they can tap into those opportunities
- Together with farmer leader’s review and update the existing business models and governance systems and processes of FOs
- Update the financials in the respective business plans to match the adjustments made to the document (business plan)
- Validate and finalize the business plans
The assignment is expected to be concluded within a period of twenty-five (25) working days.
- An inception report containing a detailed presentation of methodological components and a table of content of the final document to be submitted immediate after the contract is signed.
- First drafts of the updated business plans to be submitted 20 days after contract signing
- Final business plan to be submitted not later than 5 days after the draft plan validation meetings at all the respective farmer organizations.
Qualification, experience and competencies
The consultant for this assignment should have:
- At least a 5-year work experience in business modelling and planning, programme/project development
- A solid knowledge of the Ugandan Fresh Fruits and Vegetable (FFV) and rice sub-sectors
- A solid knowledge of different governance and management models
- At least of a Masters degree or equivalent in development economics or agricultural economics or related fields
Interested and qualified consultants are requested to submit a proposal by 10th August 2020 to eastafrica [at] rikolto.org mentioning ‘Business Plan Adjustment’ in the subject line and detailing the following:
- Description of how the consultant will address the above
- Qualifications of the consultant(s) (attach CV)
- Similar assignments carried out in the recent past
- Workplan and confirmation ability to complete the assignment within 25 working days
- Budget indicating the consultancy fees per day and all involved costs in Ugandan shillings
Please note that we can only respond to successful proposals.