Rikolto is an international network organisation with over 40 years of experience in partnering with food chain stakeholders in Africa, Asia, Europe and Latin America. We build bridges of trust and trade between the food industry, governments, research institutions, financial institutions and farmers’ organisations around one central question: ‘What will we eat tomorrow?’
Rikolto’s global strategy is directed towards structural changes in the agri-food system and upscaling of well-functioning practices and policies that unlock the farming potential of a critical mass of smallholder farmers. Clear structural change/up-scaling agendas are agreed upon for which specific strategies and actions are developed. This is followed by designing concrete interventions in pilot chains in order to experiment, learn and build evidence to influence the agreed changes.
Rikolto in East Africa secured funding from the European Union (EU) under the AGRI-CONNECT programme for a 4-year horticultural project in Tanzania, which aims to improve and increase market competitiveness in the sector, supplying both domestic and international markets. This project will run from 2020 to 2024 covering the Southern Highland regions of Iringa, Katavi, Njombe, Mbeya and Songwe in Tanzania.
Description of the assignment
Rikolto in collaboration with Mafinga TC, Mbeya City, Mpanda MC, Songwe DC, Mbozi and Mbeya DCs intends to install eight (8) greenhouses (8m*30m) with galvanized poles for horticulture production (seedlings, fruits and vegetables). These greenhouses aim at imparting horticulture farming technologies among horticulture farmers and to act as an incubation centre for technology transfer among smallholder farmers by incubating a bigger number of horticulture farmers with a focus on youth and women. We are therefore looking for a qualified and experienced consultant to support the installation of these eight (8) greenhouses and provide capacity building to farmers. The consultant needs to show proficiency in design and installation of greenhouses and already have undertaken similar projects.
The scope of work
- Determining a suitable design for these greenhouses, based on existing models, best practices and in consultation with Local Government Authorities (LGAs) and AIC teams.
- Preparing a detailed BOQ for the greenhouses to be installed.
- Preparing the ground layout plan for greenhouses including layout for water, dripping network, and road and rainwater drainage network.
- Training of farmers on best use of greenhouse management
- Support in preparation of a business plan for proposed value chains in these farmer groups/FBOs.
- Complete installation of eight (8) greenhouses in the respective LGAs as stipulated above.
- Provide 3-months technical backstopping support to farmers in the respective cluster.
- BOQ for installation of eight (8) greenhouses
- Complete installation plan of (8) greenhouses in the respective LGA
- Capacity building plan, detailing number of farmers that will be trained
- The business plans for at least four horticulture value chains to be developed
Procedure to apply
Qualified Consultant or Consultants Firm are invited to submit their Technical and Financial proposal with the following documents:
- Cover letter;
- CVs of proposed consultant teams to undertake the assignment
- References with detailed contact address of at least 2 organizations in which the consulting firm provided similar services recently, and;
Send your proposal via email to eastafrica [at] rikolto.org by 15th November 2021 and indicate “Installation of eight greenhouses and Capacity Building” in the subject line.