1. About Rikolto
Rikolto (formerly VECO) is an international network organisation with more than 40 years of experience in partnering with farmer organisations and food chain stakeholders across Africa, Asia, Europe and Latin America. The question that guides our work, is: What will we eat tomorrow? How can we guarantee that future generations retain access to affordable quality food, knowing that climate change, low prices and poverty are forcing more and more farmers from the land? Rikolto firmly believes that smallscale farmers, who produce 70% of our food worldwide, are a big part of the solution.
Rice is one of the strategic commodities that Rikolto is focusing on at the global level. The ambition of our global rice programme is to:
- Provide safe, healthy, sustainable and quality rice to consumers
- Generate decent profits and jobs for all actors along the value chain, especially for smallholder farmers (men, women and youth), and
- Reduce the environmental impact of rice cultivation and to preserve the environment for future generations.
Rikolto’s rice programme in Uganda is covering the districts of Butaleja, Bulambuli, and Kapchorwa (lower belt).
2. About the simplified rice standard IEC materials
In 2018, Rikolto partnered with Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS) and other stakeholders to develop simplified easy to use Information, Education and Communication (IEC) materials based on the Uganda standard for milled rice (US EAS 128:2017). These materials are intended to support different rice market actors (smallholders, local processors, traders, transporters and consumers) to understand the requirements of the milled rice standards, and how they can be met. However, most local-level market actors are having difficulties in using these simplified materials as the texts were written in English language.
3. Purpose of the consultancy
To translate IEC materials (that were printed in brochure format) and booklets to common local languages spoken in the three districts mentioned above.
4. Specific tasks of this assignment
The consultant is expected to undertake the following tasks:
- Translate three simplified milled rice standard IEC materials (2 pages each per IEC material) and a 12-page booklet into Luganda, Lumasaba, Lunyole, and Sabiny
- Pre-test and finalize the IEC materials
- An inception report
- Translated rice standard IEC materials in 4 local languages
- Final report
5. Duration of the assignment
This assignment shall take a total of 21 working days.
We are looking for a qualified consultant(s), preferably an expert in document translation or other related fields with experience in food safety and quality management. The consultant should also possess strong writing skills.
Interested and qualified consultants are requested to submit a proposal by 23 July 2020 to eastafrica [at] rikolto.org mentioning ‘Translation of simplified rice standard materials’ in the subject line and detailing the following:
- Description of how the consultant will address the above
- Qualifications of the consultant(s) (attach CV)
- Similar assignments carried out in the recent past
- Workplan and confirmation ability to complete the assignment in 21 days
- Budget indicating the consultancy fees per day and all involved costs in Ugandan shillings